This recipe of cabbage, sausage and potatoes soup is totally rich and comforting, rich in the best savory flavors, easy to prepare and guaranteed to warm you up immediately!
Start with your star ingredient: a small head of green cabbage. We will use everything in this soup pot. And even if it will turn into a small mountain of vegetables once it has been cut, don't worry, because everything will run out once added to the soup.
The second most important ingredient here is a good kielbasa sausage package. Really, you can use practically any type of smoked sausage here (or even bratwurst). But I'm partial to the kielbasa here with its smoked and garlic flavors (which usually also include cumin). Here you can use traditional pork sausage or chicken or turkey or vegan sausage. Take.
Start by skipping the sausage for a few minutes in a large saucepan (affiliate link) until it is slightly golden. Then transfer it to a separate plate to save it for later.
Sauté the rest of your vegetables and all that cabbage, then add the remaining ingredients and let the soup simmer until those potatoes are nice and tender. Season with salt and pepper (I recommend this extra black pepper with this) and soon enough …
… these delicious bowls of cabbage soup will be yours to serve and enjoy.
I hope you love him as much as I do, friends!
Cabbage, sausage and potato soup
Preparation time: 10 MINUTES | cooking time: 35 MINUTES | total time: 45 MINUTES | yield: 8 PORTIONS
- 1 pound of kielbasa sausage *, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, cut into ⅛-inch rounds, only white and pale green parts
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 diced celery stalk
- 1 small green cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound of red potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, homemade or purchased in the store
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly broken black pepper
- Add the sausage to a large pot and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring and inverting occasionally, until the sausage is lightly browned. Use a perforated spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate and set aside.
- Add the olive oil, leeks, carrots and celery to the pan and stir to combine. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the cabbage and garlic and fry for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, potatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, cooked sausage and mix to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a slow fire. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Taste and season with a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper if necessary. (Also, depending on how seasoned your salami is, feel free to add a few teaspoons of Italian dressing if you think it needs an extra flavor. A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes will also help enhance the flavors.)
- Serve hot OR refrigerate in sealed containers for a maximum of 3 days or freeze for a maximum of 3 months.
- * Feel free to use the traditional kielbasa sausage or any type of smoked pork, chicken, turkey or vegan sausage you desire. (Bratwurst works too!)
- ** If you are preparing this gluten-free recipe, be sure to double check that the sausage is GF certified.